Monastic Wales.

Display person:

Hugh de Lacy , lord of Weobley and Ewyas

Died: 1186 (26 July)   

The son of Gilbert de Lacy (fl. 1133-63), Hugh had succeeded to the family lands at Weobley, Herefordshire, by 1162 and was accordingly a leading tenant-in-chief to the Crown.

Lacy accompanied Henry II to Ireland in October 1171 and was a leading member of the royal entourage; the following year he was given custody of Mide and subsequently built a number of castles there; his chief seat was Trim Castle. Both Llanthony Prima and Llanthony Secunda received generous patronage from Hugh's lands in Mide and Llanthony Prima founded a cell at Colp. Henry II also made Hugh responsible for Dublin.
In c. 1181 Hugh was Henry II's chief agent in Ireland but in 1186 he was murdered at Durrow. The perpetrator was Gillaganinthair O Miadaig of Bregmuine, who was acting for the king of Theba; the implement was an axe.
Hugh was initially buried at Durrow, but his body was later brought to Bective Abbey (Meath) and his head to St Thomas's, Dublin, where the rest of his remains were finally interred.
Hugh's activities in Ireland are described in the Anglo-French verse, The Song of Dermot and the Earl.

Sites associated with this person

Llanthony Prima Priory, Monmouthshire (patron)

Bibliographical sources

Printed sources

Anonymous, The Song of Dermot and the Earl (1892, Oxford)

Hogan, Arlene, 'Wales and Ireland: monastic links', in Monastic Wales: New Approaches, ed. Janet Burton and Karen Stöber (University of Wales: Cardiff, 2013), pp. 163-174

Web links (open in new window)

Flanagan, M. T., Oxford Dictionary of National Biography online - Hugh (II) de Lacy (View website) (Subscription reqd.)